We usually use the internet for many things nowadays: we try to work, read the news, keep in touch with others, pay bills, etc. But in the past few years, some of us are also trying to find their better half online. Without doubt, this is a fast growing trend as we have less time to go out and relax – and also to meet someone new in this accelerated world.
In the following you can read some fun and interesting facts, tips and statistics about online dating and relationships in general that can be found on the internet. I hope that a few of these will surprise you – as they surprised me too – and some will make you laugh.
Of course I can’t guarantee that these figures are 100% sure and reliable (some of these could have been just made up by some people who say they are scientists – no offense), so read these points by bearing this in mind. Have fun!
1. Best first date: have a drink somewhere, and maybe dinner afterwards.
2. On the first date a restaurant is always a good choice, surveys show that Italian restaurants are the most preferred on these occasions.
3. Most important to people in an online profile are the ’About me’ (55%) and the ‘Pictures’ section (45%). So sometimes pictures really worth a thousand words.
4. Despite this, about one third of online daters do not upload a profile picture to their online dating profile.
5. People who do upload a picture are better be uploading photos with which they can enhance their qualities and make themselves unique – meanwhile they still look attractive of course. Pictures about hobbies can give a great spark to conversations when meeting each other in person.
6. After the ‘About me’ and the ‘Pictures’ section on a dating profile the most important for online daters is the geographical location and the age of the potential partner.
7. When looking for a potential partner online, some of the most important dealbreakers are: smoking, drinking, political views, religious views, education, racial background and children.
8. 51% of all online dating people are in a relationship, only 21% are really single and 11% are married.
9. 80% of online daters know someone who found love on the internet – this is a great motivation for most of them.
10. About 50% of all people on the world know someone who dated someone they met on the internet. Out of them, about 30% knows more than one person.
11. 9% of online daters are registered on 3 or more online dating sites.
12. The average time of courtship before marriage is much shorter when two people meet online than in person (online: 18 months, offline: 42 months).
13. About 10% of the population use online dating sites to find love.
14. In 2010 17% of married couples met online.
15. In the UK the volume of Google searches on mobile phones about dating grew by more than 200% year by year since 2008.
16. 36% of adults admit that they broke up with someone because of their looks – out of this: 31% of men and 12% of women dumped their partner because they were overweight.
17. There are about 3 million first dates every day on the whole world.
18. The 3 main reasons of break-ups: 1: lost interest, 2: distance, 3: cheating.
19. 56% of all adults claim to have an unhappy sex life.
20. 5,4% of adult people die without ever getting married.
21. Chinese people use online dating sites the most (around 140 million people) – more than the rest of the world combined.
22. eHarmony and Match.com are two of the most known dating sites on the whole world.
23. Some surveys in the USA state the average age of an online dater is 48 years, meanwhile other statistics show that nearly 50% of all online daters aged between 18-34 – I guess this latter one is much closer to the truth.
24. About 52% of online daters are male, 48% are female – so we definitely can’t say it is a sausage fest :)!
25. One out of 10 users (so 10%!) are only present on dating sites to scam others.
26. One out of 10 users deletes their profile within 3 months.
27. In the USA, women lie the most about: 1. weight, 2. overall outlook, 3. age - on their online dating profile.
28. In the USA, men lie the most about: 1. age, 2. height, 3. income - on their online dating profile.
29. In general on the whole world: men tend to lie a lot about how many partners they had and what kind of relationship are they looking for in their online dating profiles.
30. On average, women lie less on their online dating profile than men do.
31. One out of 3 women who met someone online had sex on the first date – and 80% of them did not use protection!
32. One out of 10 sex offenders use online dating to meet other people – so beware! Also, about 3% of online dating men are psychopaths. Still, we can’t say that online dating is dangerous – at least it is not more dangerous than ‘regular’ dating.
33. Many women who use online dating are most afraid to meet one of the above mentioned freaks and/or serial killers.
34. Meanwhile men said they are afraid of commitment and of women who won’t allow them free time or to meet with their friends whenever they want.
35. New couples usually tend to wait 6-8 dates until they ’get to know each other better’ – if you know what I mean :).
36. New couples usually break up in 3-5 months after they got together.
37. Couples usually change house keys after 12-14 dates.
38. Women who set a profile picture receive twice as many messages as those who don’t.
39. Men who say their are annual income is 5 times more than average receive 1,5 times as many messages as those who say they earn an average income.
40. Statistics say that women are most attracted to men who wear blue on the date.
41. In the USA theres a week dedicated to single people: the third week of September is National Singles Week.
42. In the USA there are nearly 100 million people nowadays who are not married – out of these 53% are women and 47% are men.
43. Four out of 10 workplace affairs result in marriage.
44. Studies show that people tend to decide whether they are attracted to the other or not within 3 seconds after meeting them.
45. Most of people can’t represent themselves objectively when writing an online dating profile.
46. Matchmaking is a good business: in the present years in Manhattan, a matchmaker’s price starts at 20,000 USD, and if the relationship results in marriage, the matchmaker usually expects a marriage bonus, too.
47. Matchmakers usually charge 10 thousands of USD for their services from men, meanwhile only charges a few hundreds from women to be listed as potential partners.
48. Fresh breath and nice, clean teeth does matter a lot on first dates – these are two of the biggest issues when meeting a potential partner.
49. People usually cook dinner for their potential partner on or after the 3rd date for the first time.
50. About 40% of men don’t feel confident meeting a woman for the first time.
51. First impression does matter a lot for women: 80% said the way a man stands counts a lot on the first date.
52. The biggest turn-on during a date when the potential partner is laughing and showing happiness, meanwile the biggest turn-off is negativity.
53. Men are usually afraid to approach a woman who is in a larger group of other women – so if the woman wants to meet a guy she should break off the group to give a chance for the man.
54. If someone says their potential partner’s name at least twice on a date this shows connection and attentiveness towards them. Also, remembering some bits of information about the partner and speaking/asking about these show interest.
55. If a woman within a bigger group often breaks off, her eyes are wandering around the place and she goes to the toilet alone quite often she is surely trying to find a partner.
56. On average, daters kiss on their second date.
57. A woman can express her interest in many subtle and gentle ways – some of these men won’t even notice – these are: smiling/laughing on the partner’s jokes, playing with her hair, leaning towards him, blusing, showing interest, ‘accidentally’ touching his arm.
58. On the other hand, signs that show that a woman is not interested are: not smiling or faking a smile, not engaging in the conversation, giving short answers, leaning away from him, avoiding eye contact, looking at her watch.
59. Although extremely beautiful women tend to get more stares and winks, they rarely get asked out by men as the men feel they are not good enough for her.
60. Calling someone after the first date in less than a day can appear to be desperate; meanwhile calling after 4-5 days is too late. The ideal is if the man calls the woman in about 2 days.
61. Choosing interesting and/or exciting places for the first date increases the chance that the person will fall in love with you.
62. An unspoken rule states that the man pays for the dinner on the first date. Speaking of which, if the woman is badly trying to pay for the dinner or for at least her part that means the man is better not hoping for another date after this.
63. Some scientists say that men know they are going to fall in love after the 3rd date, meanwhile women feel the same after only the 14th date.
64. Surveys show that 40% of women get into bed with their partners after 1-3 months; meanwhile men think it is already too late on the 3rd date. On average, couples have sex within the 4-6 dates.
65. Couples like to break up online as well: about 48% of online daters admitted they broke up with their partner via e-mail.
66. In the USA about 50% of all single adults have not had a date in more than 24 months.
67. Men tend to get afraid of and break up with women who start to talk about marriage too soon.
68. The four most common mistakes what people make on first dates are: showing up late, talking too much about the ex, talking too much about themselves in general and trying to please the potential partner way too much.
69. The 3 most common signs that the men is cheating on their partner is: 1. he is always at work, 2. he asks for more free time or more ‘space’, 3. he is acting extremely nice and giving gifts for no real reason that you know of.
70. Women who appear too ‘available’ to a man are less likely to get into a long term relationship with that partner. Men also like mystery and the thought that they had to work for their woman.
71. People with less interesting hobbies and experiences tend to lie more about their life in order to appear more interesting to others.
72. About 20% of people admit they have dated someone they met over the internet during their lives.
73. A study done in 2009 shows that about 92% (!) of single parents are only looking forward to date other single parents.
74. In the USA, online dating is a bigger business than pornography.
75. Behind social media, online gaming and music sites, online dating websites are the most used and paid pages on the internet.
76. On the whole world, about 20 million internet users visit at least one online dating site once or more in a month.
77. In the USA 58% of all women and 48% of all men use online dating sites to find their better halves, but sadly, only about 20% of them are successful in doing so.
78. Statistics show that nowadays men are looking for intelligent and determined women, mere looks are not the most important anymore.
79. On average, men who use online dating services have 6 dates with different women in a single year. Meanwhile women have ‘only’ 4.
80. People who greet others with ‘hi’ or ‘hello’ in their messages on online dating sites receive less response than those, who address them more politely. Also, someone is more likely to receive a response when they write a longer message (or at least longer than ‘What’s up?’).
81. 70% of online daters say that eyes are the sexiest facial feature on profile pictures.
82. Despite the disbelief, women are most likely to get nervous when speaking about a potential marriage in the next few years than men.
83. Many of online dater women are only searching for a ‘friendship’-like relationship - at least for the first few months.
84. Most online daters meet their potential partner after exchanging a few e-mail messages, pictures and telephone calls usually within a month.
85. Sadly, couples where the woman earns more than the man is more likely (about 50% higher) to get divorced than those, where the man earns more.
86. The biggest causes of divorces on the world are: cheating, infertility and rudeness/lost love.
87. Women usually prefer to marry – or in general: to get into a relationship with – men, who are older than they are. Some of them (44%) also said at most 5 years is an acceptable age difference between two people. 32% said 10 or more years are also acceptable.
88. Some researches show that on average men would like to have more than 15 sex partners during their life, meanwhile women would like to have far less, about 4 or 5.
89. Statistics show that the older the person the less likely they will remarry after they have divorced or lost their partner.
90. Most of the people (about 70%) believe in love at first sight (yeah, you better not be going out sloppy next time!).
91. Some surveys show that about half of the people who use online dating admitted they dated more than one person at the same time at least once in their life.
92. Most trusted dating sites are those that require some verification at least on signing up and those that also use a wider questionnaire to screen the applicants.
93. In the USA nowadays more and more online daters use background check services before meeting their potential partner in person.
94. Dates which were set up by friends and family members are more likely (about 50%) to result in a relationship than those where the partners meet at a bar.
95. In the UK 71% of people have had an affair with one of their colleagues at least once in their life.
96. The majority of people say that the first kiss is very important as we can deduct many things about the future relationship from a single kiss.
97. On average, people go on at least a 100 dates (with different people or the same person – no one knows) before they settle and get married.
98. 6% of all single women really think that their biological clock is ticking so they are desperately looking for a husband.
99. Despite the popular belief, men are most likely to say ‘I love you’ for the first time than women do.
100. About one third of women are more likely to spend more time shoe shopping than partner seeking.
101. In the USA online daters tend to lie about their height: on average, most of them reported to be 2-4 centimeters higher than the national average.
102. Most of online daters claimed that they have ‘very good looks’ (about 23%) or at least their look is ‘above average’ (68%). The rest said they are ‘average’ (about 30%) and only 1% said they have ‘less than average looks’ – at least there are really some people who are realistic, right? (The option ‘very good looks’ could have been chosen only after ticking the ‘above average’ option, that’s why the numbers add up more than 100%).
103. Most of online dater women claim to be blonde.
104. Bald men tend to receive less response than others.
105. Those online dater women who are looking for a one-night-stand are more popular than those who are looking for a long term relationship.
106. Those online dater men who are looking for a long term relationship are more popular than those who are looking for a one-night-stand.
107. Online dater men tend to avoid women who have a ‘manly’ profession.
108. On the other hand: online dater women tend to date men who have a very masculine profession.
So what do you think of these? Some were shocking, some were unbelievable, and others just seemed to be the norm from what many have experienced.
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK!